Monday 26 October 2015

Doctors Quarters

When our Doctors quarters fell under new management, they placed a suggestion box in the lobby. It wasn't long before Doctors began putting folded notes inside it since the building needed a lot of work.

The staircase light was dim so I suggested a brighter bulb. Next day, a new bulb. The trash cans at the back were disgusting, another anonymous suggestion and new trash cans.

There was one problem I felt uncomfortable addressing though; Noise. I had this guy on my floor who blared music all night long and a woman next door with a loud dog and dog's weren't allowed. I quietly slipped a note into the box overnight to see if anything could be done.


When I got home from work next day, the barking ceased. I couldn't believe it. No music from the guy either. I smoked my weed in silence. It was dead quiet the rest of the week.

I dropped another note into the box about my broken intercom while I was taking out the trash.
Outside, I noticed a trail of blood leading to one of the cans. Inside the black contractor bag was my neighbor's dead dog. A wave of dread overwhelmed me.

It was on the next day when I first noticed the odor coming from 5f, the guy's apartment. Another tenant had already called the police. We find out later he died of an apparent overdose.
On Saturday night my intercom suddenly came on...

"Beep."

I push 'Talk'
"Hello?"

A deep voice replies,
"Am I speaking to the occupant of 5b? It was brought to my attention that marijuana... (static)... from your apartment... (static) is a violation of this quarters code."

No comments:

Post a Comment